[logback-user] Logback not rolling

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Wed Jun 5 23:46:02 CEST 2013

On 06/05/2013 03:21 PM, ceki wrote:
> On 05.06.2013 22:15, Steve Cohen wrote:
>
>> 1) this is Swing app running under javaw so there is no console.  and
>> it's not a web app so no easy way to hook up the servlet.
>>
>> 2) Corporate security prevents me from having access to production
>> machines and I have a low degree of confidence that the environment I do
>> have access to is similar to that of production.
>>
>> 3) and so, the only thing that could help me would be something like the
>> OnConsoleStatusListener that wrote to a file instead of a console.
>>
>> Does anything like that exist?
>
> It's pretty trivial to write a status listener which sends its output
> to a file. Please have a look at [1] and [2].
>
> [1] http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html#statusListener
> [2] http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html#logback.statusLC

Thanks, but this may not be necessary.  I think I have replicated the
problem in my development setting.  It is indeed a permissions issue,
caused by the @#$%^& Windows permissions system.  I replicated it by
switching to a minute rollover.  At that point logged in as the owner of
the file, the minute rollover works.  Logged out as that user and logged
in as a non-admin and started the program.  The rollover failed to work.

Now if I could only get some information about what the permissions need
to be (good luck with the Microsoft websites), I could actually solve this.

Does anyone reading this know the answer?