[logback-user] Logback not rolling

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Thu Jun 6 02:06:37 CEST 2013

On 06/05/2013 05:52 PM, Steve Cohen wrote:

> Although I can't quite see from the source how this suggestion works.
> But I will try it (tomorrow - it's been a long day).

A closer look at source revealed how it works.

And it works.  I couldn't let it go and tried it.

Documentation suggestion:
not using the <File> attribute should be strongly recommended for use on
the Windows platform, especially if the program is one that will be run
by more than one user.

Can't quite get my mind around what the developers of Windows had in
mind when they decided that a user who is not the owner of the file
should be allowed to write (append) to it, but not rename it.  Or is
this a limitation of java?