[logback-user] logback fails to roll log file - Shibboleth IDP 2.3.8 - Windows server 2008 - Jetty running as service via procrun

Karen Murphy k.l.murphy at qub.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 10:24:50 CET 2013

Hi all,

My Shibboleth IDP version 2.3.8 is failing to roll over files daily.
Its running on Windows Server 2008, and the configuration is the default
Shibboleth one in logging.xml, except I have changed the slashes to be
double back slashes as per the logback documentation in Appenders.

I am running the IDP under Jetty 7.3, and have configured Jetty to run
as a service using procrun, as the 'local system account' which I
believe has all permissions necessary.

It works on another IDP I look after (version 2.3.6, with Tomcat) on
Windows Server 2003.

I have read the posts referring to JNDI and rotation failing, but I
can't see JNDI configured in my context file under Jetty, so guess this
isn't affecting it ?

I have looked through various logs in the Event Viewer but don't see
anything to indicate a logback error on file rotation.

My Shibboleth logging.xml contains:

----------------------------------------------------------------snip--
<appender name="IDP_PROCESS"
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
         <File>C:\\opt\\shibboleth-idp\\logs\\idp-process.log</File>

         <rollingPolicy
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">

<FileNamePattern>C:\\opt\\shibboleth-idp\\logs\\idp-process-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.log</FileNamePattern>
         </rollingPolicy>

         <encoder
class="ch.qos.logback.classic.encoder.PatternLayoutEncoder">
             <charset>UTF-8</charset>
             <Pattern>%date{HH:mm:ss.SSS} - %level [%logger:%line] -
%msg%n</Pattern>
         </encoder>
     </appender>

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing roll over to fail ?

Any pointers would be much appreciated,

Kind Regards

Karen

--
*Karen Murphy*
Systems Analyst - Bibliographic Services
Email: k.l.murphy at qub.ac.uk