[logback-user] logback fails to roll log file - Shibboleth IDP 2.3.8 - Windows server 2008 - Jetty running as service via procrun

Karen Murphy k.l.murphy at qub.ac.uk
Wed Mar 13 13:38:13 CET 2013

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Firstly I changed the FileNamePattern in the logback configuration to
roll the log every minute (just until I crack this):

<FileNamePattern>C:\\opt\\shibboleth-idp\\logs\\idp-process-%d{yyyy-MM-dd_HH-mm}.log</FileNamePattern>

I then stopped the service and used Commons Deameon procrun command:
    prunsrv //TS/JettyService

this runs the service "as a console application", and I'm logged in as
"Administrator" account.

Interestingly, the first thing it does is roll over the log file, but
only once.  After I make subsequent authentications (at least a minute
apart) the new log lines are appended to idp-process.log, ie. it doesn't
roll again after each minute.

So I'm trying to understand whey this would happen.  The Initial startup
of the service as a console app (run as administrator) is able to roll
the file, but any subsequent IdP operation is not able or allowed to
roll it.  Once the service is started as a console application (as
Administrator) isn't all subsequent IdP processes run with Administrator
permissions too ?

I have also been playing around with the jetty logs (including creation
of resources/jetty-logging.properties) , but have temporarily broken
logging :-o
Prior to breaking it the stderr and stdout files in JETTY_HOME/logs
weren't showing any errors/exceptions.  I increased the logging level in
resource/log4j.properties to "log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, stdout", the
logging didn't increase.  And now, I can't seem to get logging at all.
I'm working on fixing it now,

Thanks again for help and advice,

Karen