[logback-user] Can logging configuration files be separated when using ContextJNDISelector?

Ville Hägg villeah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 19:29:43 CET 2013

Hi all,

I need to clarify if I have understood logging separation correctly.

I have almost the same scenario than described e.g. in this question:
http://mailman.qos.ch/pipermail/logback-user/2010-March/001442.html. In
my environment I have most of the application logic deployed to JBoss 7
as a JBoss module. Module have my shared libraries for common parts of
the application as well as third party libraries (like Logback and
Spring). My own custom shared implementations are using logging in a
standard way by instantiating loggers as a static class variables.

I am also having two war-applications which are using module described.
Requirement is to have own logging context for each of the application.
Which means applications should have their own log files, log levels and
root loggers etc. I have tried to introduce
JNDIBasedContextDiscriminator together with ShiftingAppender with no
luck. My problem is that after my applications are initialized, it seems
both of them is somehow sharing the same appenders. If I view status
messages servlet, I can see that application B have initialized also
RollingFileAppenders configured in application A's configuration file or
other way round. RollingFileAppenders are wrapped inside SiftingAppender
in both configuration files.

Can anyone clarify to me can two applications using shared libraries
have strictly separated configuration files which are introducing own
loggers, appenders and logging levels? Or do I still have some kind of
configuration problem with my setup?

Thanks a lot,
Ville