[logback-user] SocketAppender question

Will Mason willchido at gmail.com
Wed May 1 22:39:03 CEST 2013

Hello,

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM, ceki <ceki at qos.ch> wrote:

> Which version of the code are you looking at? A link to the code on github
> would be useful.

Oh, sorry for the lack of context. I was reading the Logback manual (
http://logback.qos.ch/manual/appenders.html), which states, "If and when
the server comes back up, then event transmission will be resumed
transparently. This transparent reconnection is performed by a connector
thread which periodically attempts to connect to the server."

I was wondering what the rationale for the connector thread was. What
problem does it solve that simply attempting reconnection upon the arrival
of an event would not solve?

Thanks for any information,
Will