[logback-user] DBAppender fails for find jndi dataSource from TomEE

sgarlick sgarlick987 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 19:19:39 CEST 2013

13:15:26,530 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.db.JNDIConnectionSource at 782817d7 -
Looking up [java:comp/env/jdbc/datasource] in JNDI

is the output from above, which is the correct location.

On another note, I got it working by changing my TomEE config as follows.

server.xml

  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <Resource name="jdbc/datasource" auth="Container"
                type="javax.sql.DataSource"
factory="org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSourceFactory"
                maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000" username="user"
                password="secret"
driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
                url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL =
TCP) (HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER =
DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME = SERVICE)))" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>

context.xml

<ResourceLink name="jdbc/datasource" global="jdbc/datasource"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

logback.xml

  <appender name="DB" class="ch.qos.logback.classic.db.DBAppender">
    <connectionSource class="ch.qos.logback.core.db.JNDIConnectionSource">
      <jndiLocation>java:jdbc/datasource</jndiLocation>
    </connectionSource>
  </appender>

But as you can see here, I have to references TomEE's global resource which
doesn't feel correct.  From what I can tell TomEE initializes its global
resources, initializes logging, and then registers the comp/env resources.
You'd except to be able to look up java:comp/env/jdbc/datasource with this
configuration as well, but that is not the case and the lookup fails.