[logback-user] Multiple logback.xml, configuration merging/inheritance

Konstantinidis, Johannes johannes.konstantinidis at capgemini.com
Mon May 6 13:53:01 CEST 2013

Hi all,

the Spring framework offers inheritance for their xml configuration.
http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.2.2.RELEASE/spring-framework-reference/html/beans.html#beans-child-bean-definitions
Maybe you can get some inspiration from it.

For instance, you have to identify the elements you want to override. Spring uses the bean name for it and a parent-attribute. Logback may use the type (appender, logger, etc.) and the name.

Spring offers an import mechanism: you can define a path and/or name templates to scan for additional files ("Composing XML-based configuration metadata"). This would also reduce classloading issues, because you always look for the defined (or default) logback configuration (f.i. logback.xml) and then import additional files (f.i. logback\logback-extended.xml)

Regards,
Johannes