[logback-user] Why would logback ever READ the log file it is writing to?

Steve Cohen scohen at javactivity.org
Tue Jul 22 00:29:12 CEST 2014

In our java application that uses logback, and running under Windows 7,
the sysinternals process monitor (www.sysinternals.com) shows that the
java process is READING the application's log file.  Why would this be?
  I had thought that an appender would only append to the end of the log
file and am surprised to see this, especially after I insisted it
couldn't be true.

Can someone explain why logback would need to READ a logfile?  I can
categorically say that none of the application's code reads the file.

Steve Cohen