[logback-user] how to graceful shutdown logback with AsyncAppenders and without immediateFlush

Michael Reinhold mike at coursescheduler.io
Tue Mar 18 16:27:03 CET 2014

Hi Gena,

Thank you for your suggestion - it always appreciated to have additional
input into a design.

In my opinion, the solution that Ceki and I have been working on is
somewhat simpler and probably easier to implement. The full conversation
can be viewed in the pull request comments, but basically we have settled
on a small alteration to AsyncAppenderBase in Logback-core that makes the
worker.join(long) call have a configurable timeout instead of hardcoded to
1000ms. By doing this, LoggerContext.stop is now guaranteed to flush as
many queued events as possible within the specified timeout - which can be
tuned via the maxShutdownTime configuration element for AsyncAppender.
Additionally, since the maxShutdownTime configuration element has the same
semantics as Thread.join(long), using a value of 0 will cause the
LoggerContext.stop method to wait for all queued events to flush regardless
of how long it takes. This solution is better in my mind because it
involves very few code changes and does not alter shutdown semantics for
any existing users (no additional calls to change the Logback mode), while
still making it possible for AsyncAppender to fully flush its queue by
adjusting the timeout.

The second piece of the design that we have been working on is how to allow
for flushing the queue when it is not possible to call LoggerContext.stop
prior to application exit (such as when an application exits implicitly or
from) or when shutdown hooks expect the ability to log events. This is a
little more complex, but per Ceki's description in the pull request
comments, adding a new action to Joran to allow the installation of a
shutdown hook that calls LoggerContext.stop is pretty flexible.

Regards,

Mike Reinhold