[logback-user] how to graceful shutdown logback with AsyncAppenders and without immediateFlush

Michael Reinhold mike at coursescheduler.io
Thu Mar 20 16:17:05 CET 2014

Hi Gena,

Again, I agree with most of your points at a high-level and don't doubt
that your solution can work.

I do disagree with your comment about the main requirement of logging
subsystems: it does depend on application requirements. For instance, in my
application, speed is of utmost importance - I am willing to lose debug and
warning messages in favor of keeping application performance at its
maximum. The only messages that require full reliability for my application
are warning and error events (this model is supported by AsyncAppender's
current design with its discardingThreshold).

All that being said, I'm not quite sure why you are resistant to a
framework for implementing shutdown hooks. Is there a particular reason you
object to the user being able to select which shutdown mechanism should be
employed by Logback? I understand that you feel your solution covers most
or all cases, but is it not possible that the end user of Logback may
disagree and prefer to apply their own shutdown procedure or policy?

As a side question, how long would you estimate it would take to modify
logback-core (and/or the other logback components) to implement your
proposed solution? Are you currently working on implementing this
switchToFailSafe functionality or are you proposing that someone else from
the logback community develop it?

Thanks!

Regards,

Mike Reinhold