[logback-user] Sanity Checking the Log Stream

Donald McLean dmclean62 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 19:32:21 CET 2014

Eric,

That's an interesting problem. I would be tempted to wrap one of those
three (custom appender, filter, or turbo-filter) around a Metrics object:

https://dropwizard.github.io/metrics/3.1.0/

Being that rates are one of the things that Metrics supports out of the box.

Donald

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Eric Kolotyluk <eric.kolotyluk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I found an interesting problem while configuring our Amazon Kinesis
> Connector. After starting up our service everything looks fine, but after
> 15 minutes or so, all hell breaks loose.
>
> The Connector is Amazon's code, and it does not throw any exceptions that
> our code can catch, rather it just reports a lot of errors in the log
> stream. This is clearly an insane situation that we need to catch, so I was
> thinking of writing a custom appender, filter, or turbo-filter to monitor
> the log stream for insanity. For example, errors per minute over some
> threshold.
>
> Does this seem like the right way to address this problem? Have other
> people used similar techniques, or other techniques to sanity check the log
> stream?
>
> Cheers, Eric

Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that
legacy with a digital backup and recovery plan.