[logback-user] Character encoding problem with ch.qos.logback.access.servlet.TeeFilter

Christopher Holt chris.holt at hcs.us.com
Mon Jul 27 16:24:53 CEST 2015

Hello,

After a long process of elimination, I've discovered that the TeeFilter
(ch.qos.logback.access.servlet.TeeFilter) is causing problems with page
encoding.

Logback: 1.0.13,
Tomcat: 7.0.61,
Java: 1.7_0_51 (and 1.6.0_39).

At the top of my jsp pages I have this line:

<%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>

setting the character set to UTF-8.  When I have the TeeFilter installed in
the web.xml, unicode characters do not encode correctly.  The resulting
html page claimed to be UTF-8 in its header, but did not appear correctly
when interpreted as UTF-8 or iso-8859-1.  (I don't know what encoding it
was actually using).

For now, my workaround is to remove the TeeFilter since my dependence on it
is very low, but I would like to be able to add it back if needed.

Another detail about this that confuses me even more, is that it would fail
100% of the time when tomcat was first started.  But if I redeployed the
.war files, it would start working and the pages would be encoded
correctly.  (This made tracking the problem down a much longer process).

Has anyone else run into this or is there a setting on the TeeFilter to
specify an encoding?

--
Chris Holt
Director of Development