[logback-user] logback and flume

Adam Gent adam.gent at snaphop.com
Wed Mar 2 14:51:39 UTC 2016

For what its worth (hopefully relevant, helpful and not too tangental)
I found it more reliable to publish to a RabbitMQ cluster
(logback/log4j plugin) and then have Flume consume from Rabbit which
then pushes to Elastic Search.

I really wish I could give high praise to flume but it really has
given us a ton of headaches. It will run out of memory, drop messages,
and silently fail. This maybe because we just don't have it configured
correctly and/or just that the Elastic Search plugin for flume is not
mature enough. The Elastic Search flume plugin for sure has some bugs
when it sees JSON like data in a message body it tries to parse it
even if its not JSON.

Since flume was only used to read message from RabbitMQ and then push
messages to Elastic we have a replacement in the works written in Rust
but is not production ready.

RabbitMQ is actually pretty darn good logging aggregation system even
if that is not what it is designed for.

CTO
SnapHop (snaphop.com)
(twitter) @agentgt (linkedin) http://www.linkedin.com/in/agentgt