[logback-user] SizeAndTimeBasedRollingPolicy not deleting files with 4 digit “%i”

Arnab Biswas arnabbiswas1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 03:25:31 UTC 2016

Hi All,

We are using SizeAndTimeBasedRollingPolicy/SizeAndTimeBasedFNATP in our
product (logback 1.1.3). Here is snip from the logback configuration file :

    <appender name="SERVER_FILE"
        class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
        <file>${MY_LOGS}/myabc.log</file>
        <append>true</append>
        <!--
            Roll log file on both time (per day) and size (250mb). Gzip on
roll.
        -->
        <rollingPolicy
class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
            <!-- location and name of rolled log files -->
            <fileNamePattern>${MY_LOGS}/myabc-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.*%i.gz*
</fileNamePattern>
            <!-- keep 30 days worth of history -->
            <maxHistory>30</maxHistory>
            <timeBasedFileNamingAndTriggeringPolicy
                class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.*SizeAndTimeBasedFNATP">*
                <!-- whenever the file size reaches 250MB, roll it -->
                <maxFileSize>250MB</maxFileSize>
            </timeBasedFileNamingAndTriggeringPolicy>
        </rollingPolicy>
        <encoder>
            <pattern>%d{yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level
%logger{24} [%C{1}.%M]</pattern>
        </encoder>
    </appender>

The log files generated have the following names : myabc-2016-11-21.0.gz,
myabc-2016-11-21.1.gz, myabc-2016-11-21.2.gz etc.

The problem is if a log file has extension (%i) more than 3 digits, it is
not being deleted after 30 days (maxHistory). For example,
myabc-2016-11-21.0.gz gets deleted after 30 days, but myabc-2016-11-21.
*1000*.gz is *NOT* getting deleted.

Is there any other appender/configuration which I need to add to the
logback configuration file to make sure files with more than 3 digit
extension also gets deleted or is it a bug in logback?

I know that total number of log files generated can be controlled by
setting the property "totalSizeCap" and that way I can avoid generating
more than 999 files per day. But that is not the answer I am looking for.
Also, I have tried with logback 1.1.7, but that did not help.

Since for us this issue has been raised by the customer, for the sake of
urgency, I have posted this question in stack overflow
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40144806/logback-sizeandtimebasedrollingpolicy-not-deleting-files-with-4-digit-i>
as well. To avoid duplicity, I can delete the other thread if needed.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Arnab