[logback-user] Versioning policy?

Ceki Gülcü ceki at qos.ch
Thu Feb 23 19:10:15 CET 2017

Hi,

I don't think we use semantic versioning. Semantic versioning allows
“unlimited” changes when the MAJOR version is changed. In both SLF4J and
logback projects the major version has been stuck at 1.

The rule of thumb is as long as the slf4j-api and the binding versions
are the same, you should be fine for any version of slf4j-api. For
recent versions of logback, the slf4j-api version should be at least 1.7.16.

As for logback, for the vast majority of users changes should be
transparent unless you are writing your own logback extensions in which
case some minor adjustments might be necessary from time to time.

To answer your question directly, the version range [1.7.16, 1.8.0) for
slf4j-api should be safe.