[logback-user] Log events delivery guarantee.

Oleksandr Gavenko gavenkoa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 23:58:20 CEST 2017

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 10:53 PM, Ralph Goers <rgoers at apache.org> wrote:
>  It uses BerkelyDB and writes the event to it before passing the event to
> another thread where it uses the Flume RPC client to send the event off. You
> could copy just the BerkelyDB logic and tie it to another delivery mechanism
> if you want.

Thanks for suggestion!

I didn't profile myself how long latency in writing single row to DB,
numbers from Internet
about 1 ms.

I think that in case of embedded DB latency would be much smaller.

According to:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/overview/index-093405.html

BerkelyDB add 1 MiB overhead in distribution which is acceptable.
Don't know about runtime overhead.

Embedded DB provides reliable solution for data consistency and allows
keep it structured.

I am not sure if DB size stay low if you add/del data over period of
time. I don't like to maintain this DB.

With some file rotation solution you can write to new file and process
old one (and just delete it at the end).