[logback-user] Recommendations on including manifest implementation information into logging events

Andrew Feller afeller at bandwidth.com
Sat Mar 11 20:59:35 CET 2017

Does anyone have recommendations on how to best to add manifest
implementation information (Implementation-Title, Implementation-Version,
etc) to logback MDC trivially?

I know this information can retrieved programmatically from a package (
Package.getImplementationTitle()
<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/lang/Package.html#getImplementationTitle-->,
Package.getImplementationVersion()
<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/lang/Package.html#getImplementationVersion-->,
etc), but I'd rather avoid having every application hardcode logic on
startup to determine this and stash it in MDC for later use.  I would also
like to avoid hard coding this information within logback.xml /
logback-spring.xml as the manifest is the source of truth.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
--

[image: email-signature-logo.jpg]

*Andy Feller*

Sr. DevOps Engineer