[logback-user] where to place logback.xml?

Rolf Schumacher rolf at august.de
Thu Mar 30 21:54:40 CEST 2017

Just started with logback, I made to get work for me.

I am used to distribute my Java software as one jar file and a folder
"lib/" holding all jars the executable jar depends on.
The executable jar specifies the classpath to lib/*.

Currently the logback configuration file logback.xml is also covered in
the executable jar and is recognized by the application.

In case of an issue report from a user, I would like to give the user
some instructions to switch to DEBUG loglevel and send me the logging
output.

What would be the best way to do so?

Please note that the classpath is determined by the executable jar. I
tried to find a way to put a logback-test.xml on the classpath without
rebuilding the application. Unfortunately without success.

--
Viele Grüße, Best Regards

Rolf Schumacher

p.s.: Did I understood it right that I cannot change the loglevel - e.g.
to DEBUG - programmatically?
If so I would just tell the user to supply a commandline parameter
specifying the loglevel to run with.