[slf4j-dev] SLF4J Implementation for Simple Log

Graham Lea grlea at dev.java.net
Thu Aug 11 15:25:36 CEST 2005

Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> At 02:51 PM 8/10/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Just from looking at the API for Marker & the associated Logger
>> methods, I can't quite figure what the intended use is. :-[
>> Could you give me an example of when it would need to be used and how?
>
> Have you had a chance to read the discussions on this mailing list?
>
> The "Trace level" thread gives a fairly good idea:

Having read the thread, I don't think Marker is a good idea for what
you're trying to achieve.
SLF4J is "intended to serve as a simple façade for various logging APIs".
I don't know of any logging APIs that support the two-dimensional
logging being proposed (though I suspect some I have come across would
be able to handle it).
I know my logging package doesn't, and, because of its philosophy, it
probably never will.
Does JDK Logging have features that would support this? (i.e. filtering
by Marker - that's what you're aiming for, right?)
My feeling is that you would reduce the usefulness of the interface by
adding more complex schemes like this that not many logging packages
will be able to support in a meaningful way.

An extra level would be good.
'Verbose' is a good name.
'Trace' is definitely loaded. It makes me thing entry/exit, like Heiner
wrote.

Regards,

Graham.