[slf4j-dev] SLF4J Implementation for Simple Log

Graham Lea grlea at dev.java.net
Sat Aug 27 14:36:06 CEST 2005

Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Would you prefer Markers to be dropped in the next version of SLF4J?

I've just returned from holidays and have a million emails! (Not
literally, thank goodness.)
So, to keep it brief, my opinion is that, if SLF4J is true to its
intention "to serve as a /*simple*/ façade for various logging APIs",
Markers would be outside the scope, as I believe they push the façade
beyond "simple".

I don't want to be "the guy that made us drop Markers". :-)
I think Markers are a bit complex and hence beyond the stated goal of
SLF4J, but their existence wouldn't cause me to stop providing SLF4J
support for Simple Log.
If you dropped them, I would think that SLF4J was better for it, but I
wouldn't think it is bad if they stay.

Graham.