[slf4j-dev] Re: TRACE level

robert burrell donkin robertburrelldonkin at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 23:19:17 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 12:40 +0200, Greg Wilkins wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
> > And I could go with a trace() as well to make people happy.
>
> Yes - I just tried to convice the wadi project (jules) to move from commons
> to slf4j and the answer was: "not without trace!"

IIRC the only reason why JCL contains a trace level was user demand

> Which is a good point, because in order to do mechanical porting from
> commons to slf4j, it would be good to at least have trace - even if it
> was deprecated.

FWIW after several years of pretty bitter experience, i've now come to
understand that for logging, the api really isn't enough. what needed is
documentation of best practise. it's far better to have trace in the api
and then explain why there are so few valid use cases. IMHO the
documentation (for logging bridges) is crucial.

- robert