[slf4j-dev] what are we here for?

robert burrell donkin robertburrelldonkin at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 1 19:28:22 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 18:08 +0200, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> At 11:51 5/1/2005, you wrote:
> >to my mind, the most positive thing about ceki proposing a move to a new
> >home is the chance to re-examine the fundamentals.
> >
> >but does the community has a clear idea where we are going and what we
> >are trying to produce?
> >
> >is the aim just to create yet another bridging api implementation under
> >a more flexible license?
> >
> >i've been wondering whether we might for something a little more
> >radical. maybe it's something more like a specification which is needed.
>
> While I support the general idea, how about agreeing on the goals (mission)
> first? The requirements come just after that followed by the specification.
> Maybe by specification you meant mission+requirements+specification?

broad and vagueness was intentional :)

SAX is a specification that consists principally of well documented java
classes and interfaces. the servlet specification is a prose document
aimed at developers as well as implementers. the HTTP protocol is
specified by an RFC. they are all pretty different in their approaches
but are specifications in the broad sense.

but mission+requirements+specification seems a reasonable way to break
things down (to me) and talking about a mission would probably be a very
suitable place for everyone to start. (it also happily coincides with
the question in the subject of this email and so no thread renaming
would be require.)

so, what are we here for?

- robert