[slf4j-dev] Review of slf4j

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Sat May 14 14:50:02 CEST 2005

At 16:22 5/11/2005, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>On Wednesday 11 May 2005 16:21, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> > I intent to stop and think about this problem in more depth, in particular
> > after studying the Spring Framework. Would you recommend any other
> > frameworks worth looking at?
>
>Spring promotes setter injection for everything.
>Pico promotes constructor injection for everything.
>
>In both cases, it is about the framework preparing the instance to be passed
>to the user object, i.e. basic Inversion-of-Control.
>
>So, I assume that it would cover the basics of IoC.

After going through about a one third of the Spring Framework manual, I
still don't see why anyone would want to manage their loggers through IOC.
Loggers cut through all object instances in a project. Thus, who in their
right minds would want to configure their loggers using a BeanFactory with
some underlying XML file as specification? Why would anyone trade a
programming language like java to manage objects for something as clumsy as
a XML config file?

Admittedly, I still don't get it. Well, there are obvious advantages to
managing some objects with a framework like Spring, but managing something
as fine-grained as a logger? Would you manage String objects using Spring?
I don't think so...