[slf4j-dev] Review of slf4j

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Sun May 15 11:39:12 CEST 2005

At 04:55 5/15/2005, Jacob Kjome wrote:

>Spring is for managing components.  All IOC frameworks are for managing
>components.  I don't think a simple String could be mistaken for a
>component.  I'm torn on whether loggers are?  I argued a while back for it
>until you came up with UGLI.  My objection back then was that UGLI didn't
>yet exist and I wasn't sure it ever would.  You made it happen and it has
>evolved into slf4j.  With the drop-in replacements for logging
>implementations including simple and even NOP, I'm not sure I see the need
>to clutter the interface with loggers.

Jake, what do you mean by "need to clutter the interface with loggers"?
What interface, that of POJOs? Anyway, I still do not have the required
understanding of IOC frameworks to judge whether loggers should be managed
by IOC. I am at a stage where I can make seemingly relevant noises about
the subject without really understanding it. As such, please consider the
comments in my previous message as guesswork.

As for slf4j, it still has a long way to go before being widely adopted.
It's just at the beginning of a long road.