[slf4j-dev] [POLL] ULogger renamed as Logger?

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Sun May 15 16:54:39 CEST 2005

Hello all,

I just committed in a version of SLF4J and NLOG4J where the
org.slf4j.ULogger interface was renamed as org.slf4j.Logger. This
change follows complaints by some users that the term ULogger was
strange and unfamiliar.

Advantages of the change:

1) Logger is a familiar name while ULogger is not.

Disadvantages of the change:

1) As any change, this change will impact dependants and will imply
some work downstream.

2) In the Java language, you can't import the same class in a given
source file. In particular, implementations of the Logger interface,
say org.apache.log4j.Logger, will need to refer explicitly refer to
org.slf4j.Logger instead of importing org.slf4j.Ulogger and referring
to it as ULogger.

Given that the change impacts mostly Logger implementations, I think
it's something we can live with. Moreover, since there are few users
of SLF4J, the change not impact more than a few people.

Opinions, comments?