[slf4j-dev] Release of SLF4J 1.0beta9

Jacob Kjome hoju at visi.com
Wed Oct 19 22:41:56 CEST 2005

Quoting Ceki Gülcü <listid at qos.ch>:

> At 10:10 PM 10/19/2005, Jacob Kjome wrote:
>
> >Ceki, this is true of 1.3alpha6, but the latest 1.3 source is pretty darned
> >close, if not completely runtime compatible.  In fact, LogWeb, which uses
> >Log4j
> >  api's extensively, works with both 1.2.xx (which is what LogWeb was
> > developed
> >against) and Log4j-1.3 built off the latest source.  I know because I ran it
> >against LogWeb looking for incompatibilities and fixed them where I found
> >them.
> >  I may have missed something here or there, but I would bet that as far
> > as SLF4J
> >is concerned, Log4j-1.2.xx and 1.3 should look the same.
>
> Hi Jacob,
>
> You may be thinking of compile time incompatibilities. The ones affecting
> the slf4j-log4j binding are encountered at run time. I very much doubt that
> the latest source solved the runtime incompatiblity problems. They run very
> deep into the core.

No, I'm talking about running LogWeb against Log4j-1.3 at runtime, not compiling
LogWeb against 1.3.  LogWeb was compiled against 1.2.xx and run against 1.3.
I'm not saying this is the end-all-be-all test of runtime compatibility, but it
does seem to work against an application, LogWeb, that hits a lot of Log4j's
api.

I suggest you either wait for Mark to cut a new alpha (I think he said he was
going to do it tonight or, at least, very soon) or build it yourself and verify
whether my statements are correct.

> >BTW, and I haven't yet looked, but did SLF4J add TRACE?  Both
> >Log4j-1.2.12+ and
> >Log4j-1.3 now have it.  Just an FYI if you weren't paying attention.
>
> There are no plans to add TRACE to the org.slf4j.Logger interface.

Wasn't that discussed before and considered a no-go for many users of JCL to
move to SLF4J?  Seems like a small sacrifice to make in order to ease the
transition from JCL to SLF4J.

Jake