[slf4j-dev] Release of SLF4J 1.0beta9

Andy McBride andy.mcbride at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Oct 19 23:44:27 CEST 2005

> >BTW, and I haven't yet looked, but did SLF4J add TRACE?  Both
> >Log4j-1.2.12+ and
> >Log4j-1.3 now have it.  Just an FYI if you weren't paying attention.
>
> There are no plans to add TRACE to the org.slf4j.Logger interface.
>

> --
> Ceki Gülcü
>
>    The complete log4j manual: http://www.qos.ch/log4j/
>    Improve your Sudoku skills at http://www.sudoku-grok.com/

If I said "Please please please" would you consider adding trace and fatal
levels to the slf4j Logger interface?

I understand that slf4j is targeted for use in libraries, and that you
believe that applications should decide upon a logging implementation and
use it directly, but for so many people it seems so hard to commit to an
implementation and therefore many people end up either writing custom
wrappers or using log4j behind JCL.

SLF4J comes so close to being a logging façade I can use across both my
application and library code, but fails in the application area where I need
both trace and fatal :-(

So please please please make slf4j what it should be: 'Simple Logging Facade
for Java' rather than just SLF4JL 'Simple Logging Facade for Java
Libraries'.

Regards

Andy