[slf4j-dev] Marker concept

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Wed Jan 11 13:11:04 CET 2006

At 10:25 PM 1/10/2006, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have followed the discussions about the markers since slf4j was online. In
>early approaches markers were in the core Logger interface.
>
>I know there are different classes available - what is the strategy for it?
>I did not have the time to take a closer look at nlog4j. Is it already
>native marker ready?

No, nlog4j is not marker ready.

>What is the concept and strategy behind it?

It's a useful idea which needs to be validated by a real implementation.

>Can you provide some links to svn where one can see implementation details
>(in nlog4j, not in slf4j)?

No such implementation exists which is the reason why the Marker interface
is no longer present in later released of SLF4J.

>I had no AOP (Spring...) projects yet (I am working in a computing centre
>which uses most of BigBlue products. At all this means very slow changes in
>technologies, and AOP is not 5-7 years old after the hype...):
>Is the marker concept designed for AOP? Why?

No, Markers have nothing to do with AOP. They can be used in any
environment. I hope to come up with an implementation sometime in the near
future.