[slf4j-dev] SimpleLogger and optional debug level logging

Christian Stein sormuras at gmx.de
Mon Jan 23 12:24:04 CET 2006

Hallo Ceki and all others,

when developing Java libraries (not applications) I prefer to have no or
only a few and lightweight dependencies to other libraries - just like slf4j-noop
or when driving unit tests, slf4j-simple. Using the last one, all debug level
statements are muted - but while debugging some library code, I'd like to see
them on the console. At the moment, I have the option to switch to nlog4j, which
is not so lightweight anymore, or refactor all/some LOG.debug calls to LOG.info...

It'd be great to have one of these two lightweight options as well:

1. Make SimpleLogger evaluate a system property, that enables LOG.debug calls.

or

2. Have a slf4j-simple-debug.jar implementation, that doesn't ignore debug calls.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Christian