[slf4j-dev] Service Provider Interface (using jcl104 -over-slf4j.jar with axis.jar)

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Tue Mar 21 17:58:26 CET 2006

At 05:25 PM 3/21/2006, Boris Unckel wrote:
>Hello Ceki,

Hello Boris,

>Does that mean you SLF4J provides "just" a jcl104-over-slf4j per system and
>not per webapp? In other words: take all or nothing? This is OK for
>standalone applications but not for server environments.

Good question. The logging separation problem can be solved by two techniques.

1) Assuming a child-first class loader setting, each web-application can
have its own separate copy of slf4j-xyz.jar.

2A) Single copy of slf4j-jar with logging separation performed by the
underlying logging system, see for example JNDIContextSelector in log4j.

2B) Apply the same techniques used for JNDIContextSelector in SLF4J itself.

>To go further: The static approach chosen in jcl104-over-slf4j is not
>"Plug'n'Play" with the chance to ignore Classloader issues if one wants to
>have two configurations at the same time in the same virtual machine.

I fail to understand the above paragraph. Could you perhaps care to
rephrase it?

http://ceki.blogspot.com/