[slf4j-dev] Release of SLF4J 1.1.0-RC0

Boris Unckel boris.unckel.mlg at gmx.net
Sun Nov 5 08:04:57 CET 2006

Hello Ceki,

Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> November 4th, 2006 - Release of SLF4J 1.1.0-RC0
>
> I am happy to announce the release of SLF4J version 1.1.0-RC0.
>
> This release consists of bug fixes only. Moreover, since the major
> packaging-related changes in 1.1.0-beta0 seem to work well, this
> release is marked as 1.1.0-RC0.

I had a look at the release and found this:
http://svn.slf4j.org/viewvc/slf4j/tags/SLF4J_1.1.0-RC0/log4j-over-slf4j/src/main/java/org/apache/log4j/Logger.java?view=markup

What is the goal of log4j-over-slf4j ? It is far away from binary
compatibility and it seems to be a lot of work to reach source
compatibility.
If I am using slf4j in my project, I would turn all sources to slf4j. If
there are older parts of log4j I would turn them to slf4j.
If there are third party jars using log4j, I have no chance with
log4j-over-slf4j to get them run.

I would suggest to take this API part out of the release because if a
user is once disappointed, he will not try again in a short distance
future...

Anyway: Congratulations!

Regards
Boris