[slf4j-dev] Rearranging classes

Ceki Gülcü listid at qos.ch
Sun Feb 4 02:07:46 CET 2007

Hello John and others,

LoggerFactory class currently delegates manufacturing work to the factory
returned by
StaticLoggerBinder. While all existing bindings distribute their own copies
of LoggerFactory, this copy is identical, except paradoxically in logback
version 0.9 released just a few days ago.

I propose that we include LoggerFactory in slf4j-api.jar. I think this will
further improve our OSGi-friendliness, because we won't need to export
partial packages in our OSGi manifests as we currently do.

In order to further simplify things, I think we should move the
BasicMarker.java, BasicMarkerFactory.java
MarkerIgnoringBase.java, MessageFormatter.java, Util.java classes in
package org.slf4j.impl to another package, say org.slf4j.helpers. These
classes ship in slf4j-api.

Thus, the slf4j-api.jar would export the org.slf4j and org.slf4j.helpers
packages and the bindings (e.g. slf4j-nop, slf4j-log4j12, etc) would export
org.slf4j.impl package.

I'd like to emphasize that all these changes should be transparent to our
end-users.

So, WDYT?