[slf4j-dev] Rearranging classes

Eric Crahen eric.crahen.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 22:24:38 CET 2007

Please do, I really believe the ServiceLoader mechanism is a lot less hacky
than the static binding thing happening now.

The ClassLoader problems you had with the JCL are completely different and
do not exist with this solution (and those JCL issues don't mean using
ClassLoaders is always a bad thing either ;).

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ServiceLoader.html

On 2/13/07, Ceki Gülcü <listid at qos.ch> wrote:

> At 10:12 PM 2/13/2007, Eric Crahen wrote:
> >I don't understand your concern about reliance on the thread context
> class
> >loader. The ServiceLoader mechanism is a well established method for
> doing
> >this reliably. This happens all over the JDK, from character sets, to
> >encryption schemes. It works very well and gives you a much cleaner
> >separation.
>
> The SLF4J approach is pretty dumb but it is also easy to follow when
> things
> go awry. Not relying on class loader machinery is one the hard-earned
> lessons from JCL. Admittedly though, I am not that familiar with the
> ServiceLoader mechanism so I'll have a closer look at it.
>
> --
> Ceki Gülcü
> Logback: The reliable, generic, fast and flexible logging framework for
> Java.
> http://logback.qos.ch

- Eric