[slf4j-dev] jcl-over-slf4j module not building

Eric Crahen eric.crahen.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 20:51:22 CET 2007

On 2/19/07, Ceki Gülcü <listid at qos.ch> wrote:

> I do not wish to hide behind backward-compatibility excuses. We
> finally have a nice and clear separation between slf4j-api and
> slf4j-binding. Let's keep it clean and simple even if it costs an
> extra jar on the class path.
>
> [1]
> http://www.qos.ch/pipermail/logback-user/2007-February/000129.html

So we still do have a weak coupling thats based on contract rather than an
interface in order to plug various logging implementations in. In that
respect I'm not sure the separation is nice and clean. Also, the opportunity
isn't there with the static binding solution to actually report potential
errors in configuration w/o the Service API. It simplifies a build, and it
reduces the opportunity for error for new logger implementation writers.

Is there any actual technical reason the Service API is not being used? On a
technical basis, it has advantages the other solution does not and it seems
like there is just some general fear about because its description involved
the word "ClassLoader".

--

- Eric