[slf4j-dev] jcl-over-slf4j module not building

Eric Crahen eric.crahen.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 23:27:30 CET 2007

On 2/19/07, Jacob Kjome <hoju at visi.com> wrote:

> BTW, if SLF4J used the Service API, I think it would have to be a home
> grown
> one.  Clearly SLF4J cannot depend on com.sun.* or JDK1.6.  So, the Service
> stuff would have to be written from scratch and shipped with the API.  I'm
> not
> sure how involved this would be as I'm not sure how much plumbing code
> would
> need to be written.  Eric, can you address this point?

The common practice is use to the sun.misc.* version to get going quickly.
Although this is a sun.misc.* class, its actually pretty stable, and they
(Sun) do a decent job of keeping it compatible since a lot of people use it
- like the Base64Encoder class. If you want to garuntee the solution still
works on non-Sun JVMs, or you are just generally more comfortable not using
using the sun.misc.* classes, it is fairly trivial to start with the
sun.misc.* one for now; and drop in a replacement that we write. Its not too
difficult to make up your own - its really a pretty simple class.

--

- Eric