[slf4j-dev] Testing with Felix

John E. Conlon jconlon at verticon.com
Thu Feb 22 22:42:25 CET 2007

Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> Hello John et al.,
>
> Trying to do very basic installation of various SLF4J bundles (based
> on revision 749) with Apache Felix, the following could be observed:
>
> -> install ... (various packages)
> -> ps
> START LEVEL 1
>     ID   State         Level  Name
> [   0] [Active     ] [    0] System Bundle (0.8.0.incubator)
> [   1] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Shell Service (0.8.0.incubator)
> [   2] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Shell TUI (0.8.0.incubator)
> [   3] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Bundle Repository (0.8.0.incubator)
> [   5] [Active     ] [    1] slf4j-api (1.3.0.SNAPSHOT)
> [   7] [Active     ] [    1] slf4j-simple (1.3.0.SNAPSHOT)
> [   8] [Installed  ] [    1] OSGi LogService Implemented Over SLF4J
> (1.3.0.SNAPSHOT)
>
> -> start 8
> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved package in bundle 8:
> org.osgi.service.log

This is saying that the org.osgi.service.log is not being exported by
any other bundle.  That makes sense since the OSGi LogService needs this
package to export the org.osgi.service.log.LogService service so other
bundles can use it.

With this implementation I chose not to include this external OSGi
standard package inside the bundle.  Including duplicate packages in
OSGi bundles is a common practice and in some situations considered a
'best practice'.  (Thus the reason for this kind of functionality in the
maven-bundle-plugin.)
I think in this case it would be warranted.

Alternatively you can load up the OSGi compendium located at maven
groupID "org.osgi", artifactID "org.osgi.compendium",  reve "4.0" .

John