[slf4j-dev] Adding TRACE level

Endre Stølsvik Endre at stolsvik.com
Mon Jun 18 15:29:58 CEST 2007

Ceki Gulcu wrote Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:38:17 -0700:

 > Hello All,
 >
 > Is there any opposition to adding the TRACE level in the next version
 > of SLF4J, namely 1.4.0?

Oh NO, please don't! That would be absolute hell! One more
verbosity-level? What should one DO with all these levels?! The users'
brains will explode! Immense feature creep will commence! One will soon
be able to read email with slf4j!

This is simply destined for disaster.

Oh, DANG, you've already released it in the 1.4.0 version of 16th of May?!

How could you POSSIBLY do this, Ceki??

You, the absolute bastion of Say-NO!-to-TRACE, who leaves log4j due to
TRACE entering the codebase on cross of one's vote, the one ROCK SOLID
TRUTH one could bet your life, not only your life, but your whole
family's lives on: There will *NEVER*, and I mean positively NEVER-EVER,
be a TRACE level in any projects Ceki holds any fingers on.

And then this bomb: TRACE enters Ceki's new project. In his new LOGGING
project. In his new logging project's *CORE API*. And it is ACTUALLY
Ceki that proposes it...

Personal opinion? I believe Ceki is invaded by aliens that have taken
over his body. Inside his head, his brain is dimly aware of something
terrible happening, but he can't do anything about it.

Oh well, better kick log4j outta my projects: slf4j here I come! :)

Kind regards,
Endre.

PS: I notice that slf4j also don't have FATAL. How good. Finally there's
a BIT better balance between "development" and "production" levels. I
never got the point of FATAL - it is pretty much as interesting as
having a dedicated level for APPLICATION_STARTUP - both will at most
have one log-line per execution, for something that is plainly obvious
without them..