[slf4j-dev] svn commit: r1155 - in slf4j/trunk/slf4j-ext/src/main/java/org/slf4j: agent instrumentation

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Thu Oct 2 20:37:00 CEST 2008

Ralph Goers skrev:
> Thanks,
>
> I'm quite interested in this, but not only for entering and exiting but
> eventually for other logging as well.  However,  I wouldn't want it in
> all classes. I'd prefer to see additional configuration to define which
> classes should be instrumented.

You are welcome.

Basically, all this does is inserting a "if (_log.isDebugEnabled())
_log.debug("entering XXX with arguments Y=..., Z=....")" and a
corresponding exit logger to each method. It _IS_ simple and I do not
want to build it to be some large instrumentation framework.    It is
just to allow people to very easily get extra information - a quick win
- without having to do a lot of stuff.

A much better approach in the long run would be to build this within an
aspect framework (and keep the original agent).  AspectJ allows for load
time instrumentation (as I did here), but I have not had the need yet to
make this work.  Apparently this is something that every aspect oriented
programming tutorial says is easy to do, but not very often spell out
how to do.

My question now is, what is the problem you want to solve with XLogger?

--
  Thorbjørn