[slf4j-dev] svn commit: r1155 - in slf4j/trunk/slf4j-ext/src/main/java/org/slf4j: agent instrumentation

Ralph Goers ralph.goers at dslextreme.com
Fri Oct 3 08:48:43 CEST 2008

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Ralph Goers skrev:
>
>> XLogger just provides some basic "extended" methods in a standardized
>> way. I would prefer that rather than use _log.debug you would use
>> XLogger.entry as it makes filtering them easier.
>>

> Let us come back to that later.
>

>> In our code we manually add entry, exit, caught, etc. to everything
>> except simple getters and setters. The overhead of this when they are
>> not enabled is extremely small. But, as is noted in many AOP books, it
>> is somewhat distracting and is kind of a pain to have to do manually.
>> But the benefit is enormous. In development it is a great learning tool
>> and is helpful in debugging. In production we will sometimes turn it on
>> but only for a small set of classes as the volume of output is way too
>> large. Usually we will enable the other debug messages but leave flow
>> tracing disabled.
>>

> Is there any particular reason you have not looked into using e.g.
> AspectJ yet.

I looked at a book on AspectJ and wasn't happy with what I saw. It
required its own compiler. I think I looked at the web site and saw that
it had integrated another AOP base...?  Anyway, I just simply haven't
had the time.  We did do some testing with Spring AOP and found that
performance was an issue.

Ralph