[slf4j-dev] svn commit: r1210 - slf4j/trunk/slf4j-api/src/test/java/org/slf4j/helpers

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen ravn at runjva.com
Sat Oct 25 09:15:30 CEST 2008

Ceki Gulcu skrev:
> Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
>
>> I have been wondering what exactly it is that you are trying to do?  Is
>> it trying to establish a unit for CPU usage from which you can establish
>> an upper bound for how long a given test may take?
>>

> Something like that. By measure the time it takes to perform a number of
> operations (combination of random number generation and sorting), we can roughly
> estimate the power of the host CPU. It then becomes possible to calibrate
> performance tests.

I think that this approach is too brittle to handle the advances in
hardware and JIT technology without eventually breaking.

How about setting an absolute time limit for each test after which a
watchdog kills it to avoid infinite looping, and then simply measure
each test, collect the test results as well as your basic time unit, and
then do an analysis afterwards?  The build should only break if the hard
limits were reached.

Otherwise you may have a situation where people may be unable to build
from source :-S