[slf4j-dev] svn commit: r1210 - slf4j/trunk/slf4j-api/src/test/java/org/slf4j/helpers

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Mon Oct 27 09:09:18 CET 2008

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Ceki Gulcu skrev:
>> Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
>>
>>> I have been wondering what exactly it is that you are trying to do?  Is
>>> it trying to establish a unit for CPU usage from which you can establish
>>> an upper bound for how long a given test may take?
>>>
>> Something like that. By measure the time it takes to perform a number of
>> operations (combination of random number generation and sorting), we can roughly
>> estimate the power of the host CPU. It then becomes possible to calibrate
>> performance tests.
>>
> I think that this approach is too brittle to handle the advances in
> hardware and JIT technology without eventually breaking.

I do not thing the present approach is too brittle to take advantage of the
hardware and advances in JIT technology. The numbers should actually evolve with
advances JIT technology and/or hardware. From your previous message, I was under
the impression that you had not read the code. Have you read the code?

> How about setting an absolute time limit for each test after which a
> watchdog kills it to avoid infinite looping, and then simply measure
> each test, collect the test results as well as your basic time unit, and
> then do an analysis afterwards?  The build should only break if the hard
> limits were reached.

As far as I am concerned, and unless evidence suggests otherwise, the current
tests are fine.

> Otherwise you may have a situation where people may be unable to build
> from source :-S

Are you speculating or has this happened to you? If you are
speculating, I mean no offense, but I rather we invested our resources
elsewhere rather than in hypotheticals. However, if you have actually
had trouble building SLF4J, please tell me more.

Cheers,