[slf4j-dev] Release of SLF4J 1.5.3

Ceki Gulcu listid at qos.ch
Fri Sep 12 18:20:27 CEST 2008

September 12th, 2008 - Release of SLF4J 1.5.3

I am happy to announce the immediate availability of SLF4J version
1.5.3.

Added a new module called slf4j-ext for slf4j-extensions. See its
documentation for further details.

Fixed bug 71 which was re-opened by Manfred Geiler. SLF4J loggers now
survive serialization. By survive serialization, we mean that the
deserialized logger instance are fully functional.

The fix for bug 68 as implemented in version 1.5.1 was
incomplete. Michael Furman supplied a more complete fix which was
incorporated in this release.

When slf4j bridges, e.g. jcl-over-slf4j or log4j-over-slf4j, were used
in conjuction with JUL as the underlying logging system,
JDK14LoggerAdapter created a LogRecord even for disabled log
statements. This performance issue was reported in bug 90 by Matthew
Mastracci.

Added support for array values, including multi-dimensional arrays, as
parameters. For example,

   log.debug("{} {}", "A", new int[] {1, 2}});

will print as "A [1, 2]" instead of "A [I at 6ca1c" as previously. This
enhancement was proposed by "lizongbo".

Parameter substitution code has been simplified. SLF4J now only cares
about the "{}" formatting anchor, that is the '{' character
immediately followed by '}'. Previously, the '{' had meaning on its
own. As a result of this change, users no longer need to escape the
'{' unless it is immediately followed by '}'. Existing messages which
escaped standalone '{' character will be printed with a preceding
backslash. However, no data loss in the printed messages will occur.

Added missing getInstance methods to the Category class in the
log4j-over-slf4j module, fixing bug 95 reported by Michael Rumpf.

See also the compatibility report for this version available at

    http://slf4j.org/compatibility.html#1_5_3

You can download SLF4J, including full source code, class files and
documentation on our download page, shown below.

             http://www.slf4j.org/download.html

You can receive SLF4J related announcements by subscribing to the
SLF4J announce mailing list. To subscribe to SLF4J-announce list,
please visit the following URL.

Enjoy,