[slf4j-dev] svn commit: r1318 - slf4j/trunk/slf4j-site/src/site/pages

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Thu Apr 23 11:10:05 CEST 2009

Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:

> As such I see no reason not to promote logback - you just need to
> communicate very clearly that you are advertising for some other
> software that happens to have been written by you.  IMHO that is better
> than the official slf4j text is biased instead of neutral.

It is a question of balance. While over-publicizing logback within the
context of SLF4J may be unwarranted, I think discreetly mentioning
logback as direct implementation of SLF4J, as is done in revision 1325
[1], strikes a reasonable balance. Logback is after all the only
direct implementation of SLF4J and deserves credit for that.

If other logging systems decide to implement SLF4J directly, they will
also be mentioned in a such. I think such a policy establishes a
fair playing ground for all logging systems within the SLF4J project.

In summary, while having a separate section on logback in the
SLF4J manual may be unwarranted, mentioning logback as a direct
implementation, following a list of other SLF4J bindings, is quite fair.

If you agree, I will publish the new version of the manual on
http://slf4j.org.

[1] http://svn.slf4j.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=1325