[slf4j-dev] svn commit: r1328 - in slf4j/trunk/slf4j-ext/src: main/java/org/slf4j/ext test/java/org/slf4j/dummyExt

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Sun Apr 26 17:49:08 CEST 2009

On Apr 26, 2009, at 3:40 AM, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:

> Ralph Goers skrev:
>>
>> Yes, I knew that. The issue is I really don't want to us Eclipse as
>> my IDE. It seems silly to load it just to see the warnings. Most,
>> if not all, the ones you mentioned would also be shown in IntelliJ.
>> Running something as a maven report is far more palatable than
>> being forced to use a particular IDE.
> True, but it requires somehow to have the Eclipse compiler glued
> into Maven (which I am extraordinarily unfamliar with - we don't use
> Maven inhouse[1]).
>
> I am in no way advocating you should use Eclipse, and if you find a
> way to get the same information from Maven, then I'd love to hear
> about it.
>

> [1] - We have considered it, but went for putting the libraries we
> need in CVS instead as Eclipse projects.  It turned out for now to
> be the path of least resistance for us.

I'm not sure why it matters whether you use Maven in-house or not.
SLF4J uses Maven and that is what we are talking about.  If the
checkstyle plugin can be configured to generate the same errors than
that would be sufficient. I'm not sure it can as I know that IntelliJ
shows warnings that don't show up in a typical checkstyle report, such
as those that were mentioned by Ceki. OTOH, I expect that checkstyle
will be enhanced sometime so that it will generate an error if
generics aren't used where they should be. Today it seems to only
check for white space around generics.

Ralph