[slf4j-dev] svn commit: r1331 - slf4j/trunk/slf4j-site/src/site/pages

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Mon Apr 27 21:56:11 CEST 2009

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:

> You may notice on re-reading it, that it isn't.  The intended audience
> is people who happen to know about logging frameworks ALREADY, and the
> document tries to convince the audience that slf4j is great.

That is correct. The intended audience is supposed to know about logging
frameworks already.

> This has
> previously been much worse and appears to me to originally have been a
> "JCL bad, slf4j good" document which has slowly migrated to be a general
> powerpoint-like presentation.  (The FAQ shows this too).

The JCL bad and SLF4J good tilt has been largely corrected.

> For this document to be true to the title, I believe that at LEAST the
> following needs to be defined for an *uninitiated* audience:
>
> * what IS a logging framework?
>
> * what situations would it be reasonable to do logging?
>
> * the concept of log levels and the historic background.
>
> * the way stacktraces may be attached to a log event
>
> * proper explanation of {} placeholders and how to use them in pre-Java5
> and after Java 5 (varargs)
>
> * examples of using MDC (which I wholeheartedly feel should have a more
> telling name).

All these questions, except {} placeholders, are better answered
within the context of logging frameworks themselves, not in SLF4J, as
to avoid duplication.