[slf4j-dev] slf4j i8ln

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 19:05:26 CEST 2009

Hi,

As discussed here https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/WBRI-290, we
would like to switch to slf4j as our logger (it offers a logging
facade, supports MDC/NDC and parameter replacement).

However, as Takeshi highlights here https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/WBRI-214
, a needed feature is explicit i8n support, and it sounds like Ceki
would be happy to accept a contribution for this directly to the slf4j.

Perhaps, to get started, we should discuss the overall design and
aims. In the linked issue, Takeshi adds three features in the patch:

- ability to localize a message by providing a resource bundle, which
has the same name as the class using the logger (the declaring class)
- the ability to log an enum value (rather than using a static to hold
the message/key)
- the ability to associate the level at which to log with the message
with the enum (via an annotation) rather than in the call from the
declaring class

(Takeshi, correct me if this is incorrect). I think we can probably
separate these features out when discussing.

I think we would also need:

- ability to specify the resource bundle to use when getting the logger
- ability to use statics fields or just a string id embedded in call
to logger

But I'm sure others have given this more thought than me!

Pete