[slf4j-dev] slf4j i8ln

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Tue Aug 18 16:11:00 CEST 2009

Interesting, but I personally would not be happy with that interface.
1. It relies on resource bundles.
2. None of the methods accept a Locale so the framework has to rely on
the default locale. Without this it means that while the app can
support any language a particular instance can only support one. That
is fine in some use cases but not all.

I actually dealt with this kind of stuff years ago. Consider a use
case where you have call centers in Japan, France and the U.S. each
handling customers in their native country and the application is
running in a single data center. a) either all your customer service
reps have to understand a single language or b) the log records need
to be written to a file using the message key and the substitution
parameters. The message should not be localized until it is going to
appear on the customer service reps console so they can read it in
whatever language they are configured for.

To truly internationalize properly the translation needs to happen as
late as possible. In that case the logging framework doesn't even
really need to support resource bundles.

But, assuming you still want to have the framework "do" I18N, as I
said in my earlier message, it can still be handled in the appender,
not in the API layer.

Ralph