[slf4j-dev] slf4j i8ln

Ceki Gulcu ceki at qos.ch
Wed Aug 19 20:43:04 CEST 2009

Pete Muir wrote:

> Sorry, I was being loose with my language. I meant using an enumerated
> type such as
>
> enum LogMessages {
>
>    WRONG_PASSWORD, RIGHT_PASSWORD
> }
>
> log.warn(WRONG_PASSWORD);

What would the signature of log.warn() look like? Is the following legal java?

interface Logger {
   void warn(enum e);
}

I don't think it is.

> Yes, I'm also not sure that this is necessary, and it's certainly
> another concern not really relating to i8n IMO.
>

>> Instead of debating the requirements, how about code that embodies
>> your vision of the API (assuming everything was possible)?
>
> Hehe, sure, I definitely like to understand the requirements properly
> first, but I know others prefer a hack first approach :-)

Well, I did not actually mean to hack a complete solution but back up words with
  at least some example code. Otherwise, it gets too abstract for me...

Previously, when I wrote: "You may wish to fork SLF4J on git." I meant to say
githib not git.

By the way, the archives for this discussion are available from
http://www.slf4j.org/pipermail/dev/2009-August/date.html

Thus, there is perhaps no need to cc Rodney, Takeshi and David. They can read
the discussion from the archives if they wish to. If they wish to respond, they
can do so after subscribing to the dev at slf4j mailing list. They can't respond to
the mailing list without subscribing first. When replying, I won't add or remove
addressed on my own initiative.