[slf4j-dev] slf4j i8ln

Ralph Goers rgoers at apache.org
Wed Aug 19 22:42:53 CEST 2009

On Aug 19, 2009, at 11:21 AM, Pete Muir wrote:

> I think we are making progress here, and actually there isn't too
> much work to do. Let me paraphrase to make sure I am understanding
> you correctly.
>
> * The source of messages should be abstracted behind an interface. A
> default implementation that uses resource bundles could be provided
> for easy ootb experience.
Yes,
> * The provision of the Locale should be an orthogonal concept to the
> logging of messages and the creation of the Logger. This should be
> handled via the MDC.
"could be handled via the MDC".  There are other ways to do it but
that is probably the simplest.

> IMO there are still a few questions to answer:
>
> * Takeshi original design allowed you to use Enums as keys for
> messages. I'm personally not sure about this, I'm not really sure
> what benefits it offers over Strings as keys
Enums are usually associated with an integer "value" and a String
description. The only value is that you might be able to get some
optimization by using the integer value of the enum in some cases. I
don't know that it is worth the effort to support it.

> * How does a framework provide translated messages [1] to i8ln
> layer? Can we also use the MDC here to push them in, and have the
> appender read them?
I'm not sure I understand the question. The framework will provide a
method like:
public String getMessage(String key, Object[] params);
However the messages are stored is hidden behind the implementation of
that interface. Something has to call getMessage(). Potential places
are a) the application before calling SLF4J b) SLF4J before calling a
logging implementation, c) In the logging implementation - such as in
the Appender.

> * Should there be a convention for the key used? For example a key
> should use a FQN.
No. The key is essentially a contract between the application and
whatever the backing repository is. Everything else should be ignorant.

> * How does the integrate with the various slf4j back ends? Do we
> somehow want to map it to the JDK logging i8ln support? What about
> log4j?
If you take the approach I recommend - do it as late as possible -
then it is outside the scope of SLF4J. It might be done in the
Appender for the logging framework in use or it might actually happen
in the application that is reading the log files based on the Locale
of the user reading them.

> [1] I'm assuming that a framework developer will want to provide
> translations for it's logging messages

No. An I18N framework would only provide the format the messages have
to be stored in. Applications using the framework will provide their
own message sets and presumably have experts who can localize the
message sets provided by the development team into the desired locales.

> Regarding your suggestion to enhance logback - I want to be able to
> provide l10n for my log messages regardless of which logging back
> end is in use (for example, the framework I am currently working on
> currently targets JBoss AS, GlassFish, and Tomcat as possible
> runtimes, which use a combination of JDK logging and log4j).

Again, that depends. For example, Lillith (http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilith-viewer
) is an event viewer for Logback. It would be very appropriate for it
to do this. Likewise with Apache Chainsaw for Log4j. Doing the L10N
further up the chain limits the flexibility these tools can provide.
Sometimes that is desirable, but my recommendation is to always start
from as far back as possible and move up the stack only as far as you
have to.

Ralph